Wednesday, August 24, 2011

MY SUMMER VACATION

What have you been doing during your summer vacation?  oh yeah we don't get summer vacation anymore do we.  This is what I have  been doing after work and on weekends?    I was asked to design and make a mosaic heart for All the Arts for All the Kids(  http://www.alltheartsforallthekids.org/  )The hearts will be displayed in downtown Fullerton and auctioned off to raise money for the art programs.  A design proposal was sent in. Then the project got started.






Where to start?  Here goes....


above without grout


After being grouted
( thanks Katherine for suggesting to grout as I go)

it looks totally different with grout

The black is glass that I fused in a kiln before adding it as the background








grouting is my least favorite thing

but it is what makes the mosaic 



It is finished!
the name of this heart is
FINALE
( thanks Dad, he came up with the name
and Mom my cheerleader)





"FINALE"

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!! Could you tell me what the base heart is made of? It looks to be ceramic or clay? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi littlequeeen, Thank you very much. The heart was made and designed for all the "arts for all the kids" foundation. The company that made it does models . It is a fiberglass base with a metal sleeve built in for the stand. It wasn't too heavy to start,but after prep, thinset and glass it was heavy. It was fun to make and for a great cause...it was so much fun, when asked to make another heart this year. I again volunteered.

    ReplyDelete